Friday, July 29, 2022

[announcement] Regarding the disappearance of Weird World Captions blog

Weird World Captions blog has been terminated by Google.

No warning was given beforehand, and no reason was specified. Google busted out the blanket term of "harmful content" without elaborating what this content was exactly, or where.

WWC's appeal to have their blog restored was rejected. Once again, Google refused to elaborate further.

No one with a backup of Weird World Captions has stepped forward, though apparently WWC themselves still has at least some of their content stored in some form.

A fan made Discord was set up a few days before the removal and now serves as a good source of updates if you wish to follow the situation develop and hopefully see WWC's content again sometime in the near future.

Link:

https://discord.gg/P75T7bsbsm

Speaking as a long time fan of WWC's work and a fellow content creator, I'm frankly disgusted by how unfairly they got treated here.

This would probably be a good time to clarify that due to a lot of the stories here on my blog dealing with very similar themes as Weird World Captions, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that I could also get nuked on this platform sooner or later, without a single warning or explanation given.

Aside from my artworks and some of the captions where both the photo and text are contained within the same image, I have backed up nothing, and I don't really want to go through the arduous hassle of doing so.

So, if there's stories here that you really enjoy, I highly recommend finding some way to save them for yourself, in case it becomes my turn to bend over the chopping block.

- Lewdsmith

13 comments:

  1. I tried using the Wayback machine, as it's got a save from July 22nd I believe. However I can't get anything to load when I click on it. If you or anyone else can get it to work, you can try backing up what you can and posting it in the discord you linked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the wayback machine earlier as well and ran into the same problem.

      https://tfrepo.com/ has some of Weird World's older content but most of the images are broken.

      Delete
  2. I have a few stories/images I saved, if the author of WWC would want to e-mail me at alexa dot tanning on Gmail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, invitation for discord is expired, is there a new one pls ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've started backing up every blog I can think of, yours included. I wish I had started sooner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to comment asking if you possibly had an idea what had happened, it's a shame, I was just looking at his blog the night before, I wonder if google did the same thing to TFAllSorts and that's why they've moved for safety as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TFAllSorts did get issued with a warning from Google. https://transformationofallsorts1.blogspot.com/2022/05/where-did-he-come-from-where-did-he-go.html?zx=1b90a9445251cfc1

      Delete
    2. Yeah that's why I brought him up I knew he had "left" a few months ago, Makes much more sense now. It's a weird and awful situation google's just decided to flip the coin and start taking down Weird and TFAS. Looks like I'll have to make a Discord to keep up with all three of you still (you,ww,and tf were my favorite captioners)

      Delete
    3. Nah, TFallsorts left because they posted some extremely transphobic caption stories and got called out for it.

      Delete
  6. Glad someone else said it.

    ReplyDelete